I’ve been craving baked oatmeal lately, but I knew wanted something different – maybe something fruity. So last night, while I was running through a list of flavor ideas, I decided that strawberries sounded good. I couldn’t really find a recipe that I liked, so I decided to just wing it.
This morning I got up and made one of these delicious iced coffees and had some sweetened condensed milk left over. (You see where this is going, right?!). Then it hit me – let’s make this a creamy strawberry breakfast!
This is really easy to throw together and tastes a lot like the instant strawberries & cream oatmeal that I remember eating as a child – only waaaay better!
Unlike the other baked oatmeal I have made (which are more dense and bread-like), this one is soft and creamy and spoon-able.
We enjoy this with a little half & half poured on top. Because you can never have too much half & half.
- ¼ c melted butter
- ¾ c half & half
- ½ c sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla, if you don’t have almond)
- 2 c old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 c strawberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- Place strawberries in an even layer in the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, half & half, sweetened condensed milk and almond extract. (You might need to microwave this mixture for 15-20 seconds to get the butter melted again, if it starts solidifying).
- In another bowl, combine oats, baking powder and salt. Add to milk mixture and stir just until combined.
- Pour oatmeal mixture over the strawberries, being sure to spread it out as needed. Sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon, if desired.
- Bake (uncovered) for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. The longer it sits, the more firm it will be.
- Serve warm with a little half & half and/or sliced strawberries on top.